Spokane International Railroad
Daniel C. Corbin built the Spokane International Railroad from Spokane to the Canadian border in 1907. He cooperated with the Prairie Development group, believing that adding a branch line to Bayview was a sound investment. This extension, called the Coeur d'Alene and Pend Oreille Railroad, was completed in 1911 and remained in operation until the late 1930s. It began at Corbin Juncion, just west of the ranch he owned (now due south of Silverwood Theme Park) and followed a northeaterly path to Bayview with an intermediate stop at the farming community of Belmont (near the intersection of Parks Road and Whitetail Road). One siding was established at Gibbon's Spur - just outside the entrance to today's Farragut State Park - and another inside the park near the Sunset Picnic Area called Paul.
Corbin had two purposes in mind when he constructed this branch line. First he wanted to service the growing businesses of the Washington Brick & Lime Company in Bayview and the International Portland Cement Company in Lakeview. He also saw a profit in transporting passengers and tourists from Spokane to Lake Pend Oreille.
A rail line came on each side of the depot. One set of tracks continued to the Washington Brick & Lime Company site, which sent a spur onto a railroad dock where two sets of tracks allowed six cars to be placed directly onto a barge for the trip to the cement crushing plants near Lakeview. The other went up the hillside to a wye, providing a way to turn the engines.